Thursday, July 16, 2009

US Assassins

There's a lot of discussion of what on earth the disclosure of Cheney's death squads means.

Mainstream media discusses it as presented - bizarre though that may be. Alternative media points out that we all knew it was happening - Bush bragged about it in the 2003 State of the Union address. Jeremy Scahill points out that Clinton did it too, although he seems to focus on the Middle East.

One of my co-workers was a Marine sniper in the 90s. I'm not sure of the exact dates, but he was involved in the first Gulf War, because he defended the Highway of Death by saying that the US soldiers were simply trying to prevent the Iraqis from stealing vehicles that they could then use later!!

Anyway, he told me once that he killed people in Iraq AND Columbia. When I said that he was killing the good guys in Columbia, he told me "They're all bad guys."

So I allowed that they may have been true, and then he said, "But I did wonder sometimes why they picked this one to kill and not that one."

So, just so you know, it isn't just the CIA and it wasn't just during the Bush years and it isn't just countries that we are at war with.

And, personally, I believe that the hit squads operate in the US. For instance, when Paul Wellstone was killed, I was quite sure that they blew up his plane, or something, and the same guy told me that it was quite easy to sabotage a plane without explosives. Unfortunately, I can't remember how he said it was done. And although he is a right wing Republican, he agreed that Paul Wellstone was assassinated.


No comments: