Thursday, April 10, 2008

Why Save Tibet Now?

We have been treated in the corporate media to non-stop coverage of the struggles of the people of Tibet. You know, because 49 years ago, China took over their country, and now something must be done about it.

I'm not really clear on what the protests are about. Do they want to bring back theocratic feudalism?

If I don't know anything about a subject, I judge by the coverage given it by the corporate media. For instance, I knew nothing about Hugo Chavez until the coup in 2002. I was watching network TV and the newscaster announced that a great thing had happened and a commie dictator got his due. That's when I knew that Hugo Chavez was probably helping his people, and the US was probably behind his coup. As it turned out, that was a good assumption.

So when I see the massive corporate coverage of the Tibetans, I figure that the US ruling class is backing their cause, so I'm probably not. Especially when I grazed through the history of Tibet and saw that the CIA was involved in removing the Dalai Lama in 1959. Hmmm. That's a long involvement.

I was involved in massive protests in January 2003, and September 24, 2005 in Washington, DC. They were ignored or down-played by the media. I was standing next to some people from New York who were on the phone with outraged compatriots who were trying to take Amtrak from New York to Washington,DC, but Amtrak shut down that line. The next day in an article about it, the Times mentioned in about the 15th paragraph, that 100,000 more people than usual had traveled from New York to Washington, DC on public transportation that day.

OK. 100,000 more, just from New York, just on public transportation! And yet, they "estimated" the crowd at about 150,000. Those New Yorkers sure did more than their share, in that case. And yet there were buses from all over the country.

So why ignore anti-war protests and play up anti-Chinese protests? Is it wise to trash people from whom we have borrowed so heavily? Or is that the point? Is it the plan of the criminals that run our country to borrow as much as possible and then default or go to war to keep from paying our debt? There is no honor among thieves.

There is a reason that we are being propagandized. I just don't know what it is yet.

2 comments:

Flimsy Sanity said...

Michael Parenti wrote an interesting article about the history of the region. I agree with you completely (on this and most other things).

To quote Cheney's "so" approach, ignoring the hoi polloi and obvious truths in polls is followed at every level. The boss sets the tone in little or big businesses.

Greener Than Thou said...

Wow, thank you Nader enthusiast. That was enlightening.